Sunday, September 18, 2011

Planet VegMel picnic

It has been aaaaaaaaaaaaages since I last blogged due to slackness, tiredness due to non sleeping toddler & general life stuff getting in the way but am feeling a bit inspired at the moment so am going with it!
Today was the Planet VegMel picnic (also world fingerpainting day - who would have guessed??) & it really reinforced why I started blogging.  To sit in the sun eating amazing food with fantastic people who I would not have met otherwise is a pretty awesome thing.  I remember when I was thinking about going vegan & I used to read all these blogs & read about potlucks & it sounded like an amazing little community that I wanted to be a part of & now I am a part of it & it really is an amazing & supportive community.

So on to the food.  I decided to make rice paper rolls with a peanut dipping sauce after Mandee mentioned them during the week & I could not get them out of my head!  Unfortunately these were really bland &  boring & I was generally pretty unhappy with them & didn't even take a photo. 
My dessert on the other hand, I was really happy with.  I wanted to make something peanut buttery & when cleaning up my bookmarks I came across an incredibly easy recipe for peanut butter balls so decided to make them.  Yum!  They were like peanut butter cups in ball form but did end up a bit melty at the picnic.

Peanut butter balls (adapted from The Kitchenarian)

Ingredients
  •  3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  •  7 tbsp almond meal
  •  3 tbsp maple syrup
  •  Dark chocolate (I used about 3/4 of a Whittakers block)
Method

  1. Mix peanut butter, almond meal & maple syrup together until well mixed.
  2. Roll into balls & refigerate 
  3. Melt the chocolate
  4. Roll pb balls into the chocolate & refigerate until set.


And this is what happens after you eat too much & are all tired out from trying to grab food & chase after birds, aka, post potluck nap.

4 comments:

  1. WELCOME BACK!!

    So many of us have been tweeting and facebooking about being wiped out after today's picnic. :-)

    I missed out on a rice paper roll (too far out of my reach!) but I loved the peanut butter balls.

    Oh, and in case you missed it, Michael made your hash browns a week ago and they were delicious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you today - and nice to hear you feel inspired about posting - have missed your posts - I enjoyed the rice paper rolls but think they needed sauce which I avoided due to Sylvia's allergy - Sylvia ripped mine to bits so it looked a mess but still tasted good and she ate a little of it - which is an achievement with her! Shame I missed trying the peanut butter balls - meant to but got distracted

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was lovely to meet you and your family yesterday. I completely forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed your MoFo theme last year and still have recipes bookmarked from it that I must try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the rice paper roles were great with paired with the yummy sauce and I adored the balls. So great to see you and your fam too!

    ReplyDelete